Information and Communication Technology
The National ICT Master plan 2017 aims at making Kenya one of the top 10 ICT Hubs in the world. The Project is aimed at creating of at least 500 New Medium-sized firms and 20 Multinational Companies in the ICT Sectors.
Investment opportunities in the ICT sector include but are not limited to the following;
· Data Centre and Disaster Recovery Centre
· Call Centre (In- and Outbound).
· Internet Content and Commerce Solutions
· Transcription and Translation Solutions
· Web Hosting and Hosted Server Solutions
· Data Entry
· Internet Security Solutions
· Value Add Service for Mobile Phones
· Graphics and Animation Development
· Value Add Distribution of Mobile Phones Computer Games Application and Content
· Animated Movies and Special Effects
· M-Payment systems
· Modelling for Architects and Engineers workforce and Enterprise solutions Assembling of hardware
Kenya is fast becoming the regional hub for ICT and mainly because of its highly skilled labour and relative sophistication compared to neighbouring markets within the EAC. Kenya is also a host to regional offices for the world’s biggest technology companies including Microsoft, Google, Cisco, Oracle, IBM and SAP.
Machakos County is a major player in the Konza Techno City, a Kenya Vision 2030 flagship project that is set to be Africa's first Silicon Savannah and an oasis of modern living and class. This Silicon Savannah creates investment opportunities in:
o Science and Technology Parks
o Business Process Outsourcing (BPO)
o Information Technology Outsourcing (ITO)
o Knowledge Process Outsourcing (KPO)
o Creative Services Outsourcing(CSO)
The Konza City project is set to host business process outsourcing (BPO) ventures, a science park, a convention centre, shopping malls, hotels, and health facilities.
As a county, Machakos can, through the Investment Promotion Board, position investors to take advantage of the opportunity through investments in tertiary institutions and to position the education offered in these institutions to cater to the ICT opportunities.
The County Government is also committed to providing investors with land to set up these institutions as well as ICT manufacturing facilities.